Protein / Dairy
- 1 tablespoon EV olive oil
Vegetables / Fruits
- 10 cups or 32 oz or 908 g florets of cauliflower
- 10 cups or 15 oz baby spinach leaves
- 8 to 10 Campari tomatoes chopped
- One large red onion chopped
Herbs / Spices / Seasoning / Sauce
- 6 green chilies chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cashew nuts
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- 4 tsp grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Iodized salt to taste
- 1 handful chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 1 sprig fresh mint leaves
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that has protective health benefits
1. Cut or break the cauliflower into bite size pieces or florets.
2. Cook the cauliflower florets in the microwave with a little water for about 16 minutes. The power of microwave ovens tend to vary, so follow the instructions for your microwave oven.
Prepping the onions and herbs for the sauce
3. Heat EV olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, chopped green chilies, and grated ginger - sauté over medium heat until onion is translucent.
Curry leaves, cilantro and mint add a fresh aroma to the sauce
Curry leaves are popular in South Indian recipes. Mint can be overpowering, use just a few mint leaves.
Green chillies are rich in vitamin C
Tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies are normally used to make sauce in traditional North Indian recipes.
Heat curry leaves to enhance their aroma
4. Next add the chopped garlic, curry leaves and sauté for about a minute.
Turmeric powder is used to add yellow color while saffron adds an orange yellow color to foods.
5. Sauté onions until they turn translucent. Add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
The herbs and spinach add a green color to the sauce
6. Grind the sautéed onion, green chillies, ginger, garlic, coconut, cashew nuts, poppy seeds, cilantro, curry leaves and mint into a sauce with a chutney like consistency.
Spinach is rich in folate and a vegetarian source of iron. There are several varieties of spinach available in India. I have found 2 varieties of spinach in the USA. My favorite, baby spinach, is delicious whether it is cooked or added to raw salads.
This is just to warm the baby spinach before grinding the sauce
7. Sauté the baby spinach over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Grind the spinach with the tomatoes to a smooth sauce consistency.
Campari, Roma, cherry, .... tomatoes - which variety is your favorite?
Campari tomatoes are juicy and sweet. I use Campari tomatoes to make delicious rasam and tasty sauces in North Indian recipes.
Sauteeing the onion sauce for a couple of minutes cooks the raw coconut, poppy seeds, cashew nuts and herbs
9. Heat (medium) 1 tbsp olive oil in the pan and sauté the onion sauce for a couple of minutes.
Mix the sauces together
10. Next, add the spinach tomato puree / sauce. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
Potatoes and sweet peas can also be added to this curry
11. Add the turmeric, coriander (dhania) powder, and salt to taste.
12. Add the cauliflower pieces - sauté for a minute.
My kids' favorite cauliflower curry
13. Add a little water - cover and simmer over low heat for about 8 to 10 minutes. Too much water can make the cauliflower mushy.
14. Once the cauliflower is cooked, add the garam masala and simmer for a few minutes.
15. Enjoy with pulao or roti.
Our reliable nutrition and fitness recommendations are a guide to a sustainable natural and healthy way of living. We use a normal method of communication and easy to understand language so that there is no miscommunication, no misrepresentation and no misinterpretation. Our software tools and nutrition education help you maintain your original good health and achieve your nutrition and fitness goals. We provide personalized nutrition recommendations based on a qualified medical professional’s evaluation.
We are not participating in biotechnology research. We are not participating in clinical trials. We do not provide biotechnology solutions. We do not provide biotechnology recommendations.