- 1 packet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
Protein / Dairy
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
Vegetables / Fruits
- 1 cup baby cut carrots chopped
- 1 cup baby potatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) of frozen green peas
- 2 red bell peppers or capsicum chopped
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 4 small heirloom tomatoes chopped
- 6 green chillies minced
- ½ lime juice
Herbs / Spices / Seasoning / Sauce
- 1-inch ginger piece peeled and grated
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Iodized salt to taste
For seasoning -
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (lentil)
- ½ teaspoon chana dal (lentil)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
Make the vegetable curry for stuffing the pastry sheets
1. Thaw frozen puff pastry sheets in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours. The pastry sheets become more pliable, easy to cut and work with.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
3. Make the vegetable curry or stuffing for the veggie puffs.
4. Heat oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, and cumin seeds for seasoning.
5. When the mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions, minced green chilies, grated ginger, and minced garlic. Sauté well until the onions turn translucent. Add turmeric powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
6. Add chopped red bell peppers and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add chopped tomatoes, baby carrots, and baby potatoes. Sauté well and add enough water to cook vegetables. Cover and cook on medium heat.
8. Add the green peas after the vegetables have cooked. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
9. Turn off the stove and add the juice of ½ lime and mix well.
10. Lightly mash all the cooked vegetables so that the texture of the curry is similar to a vegetable stuffing.
Easy to bake vegetarian appetizer
11. Unwrap the 2 pastry sheets and cut into 12 rectangular pieces.
12. Add a heaped Tablespoon of vegetable curry on one half of a rectangular piece of pastry sheet.
Easy to bake Veggie Puffs - my kids' favorite appetizer at Thanksgiving
13. Use a bowl of clean water to moisten your finger tips. Fold the other half of the rectangular piece of puff pastry sheet over the vegetable curry so that it gets covered. Using moist finger tips, pinch edges together so that it makes an attractive pattern.
14. Repeat step 12 for all the remaining 11 pieces. Arrange on a baking sheet in 3 rows of 4 pieces.
15. Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes until the puffs turn a golden brown.
16. Serve the puffs while they are still warm, crispy and delicious.
Frozen puff pastry sheets contain butter so minimize the amount of oil used while cooking the vegetable curry and baking to avoid greasy veggie puffs.
Makes a tasty vegetarian appetizer or delicious snack that can be enjoyed on a rainy day with hot South Indian filter coffee or masala tea.
Our reliable nutrition and fitness recommendations are a guide to a sustainable natural and healthy way of living. We use a normal method of communication and easy to understand language so that there is no miscommunication, no misrepresentation and no misinterpretation. Our software tools and nutrition education help you maintain your original good health and achieve your nutrition and fitness goals. We provide personalized nutrition recommendations based on a qualified medical professional’s evaluation.
We are not participating in biotechnology research. We are not participating in clinical trials. We do not provide biotechnology solutions. We do not provide biotechnology recommendations.